Students and staff members of the University of Iceland can apply for an ArcGIS license by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Below are instructions on how to install the program and activate the license key. You can find support for ArcGIS Desktop Student Trial on esri.com/trialhelp.
1. Go to http://www.esri.com/StudentEdition to activate your license key and download ArcGIS for Windows.
2. Log in with your Esri username or create a new Esri account if you do not already have one.
3. Input your license key and click "Activate ArcGIS."
4. Click on the newest version of ArcGIS available, in this case it is ArcGIS 10.7.1.
5. Find "ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap)" in the list and click on the "Download" button to the right.
6. Open the .exe file that you downloaded to start extracting the files.
7. Here you can choose a destination folder for the extracted ArcGIS files (usually it is best to keep the default location). Click "Next" to continue.
8. Now the files will be extracted.
9. This window will appear once the files have been extracted, keep "Launch the setup program." box checked and click "Close."
10. Now the installation will begin, click "Next" to continue.
11. We recommend choosing the "Complete" setup type.
12. Here you can change where the program will be installed (usually it is best to keep the default location). Click "Next" to continue.
13. Click "Next."
14. Click "Install."
15. The program will now be installed, this process can take a while to complete.
16. You will see this window when the installation is complete, click "Finish."
1. ArcGIS Administrator Wizard should open automatically after installation or the next time you open ArcGIS. Choose "Advanced (ArcInfo) Single Use" and click "Authorize Now."
2. Choose "I have installed my software and need to authorize it." and click "Next."
3. Choose "Authorize with Esri now using the Internet." and click "Next."
4. Fill in your information and click "Next."
5. Choose the options that fit your situation and click "Next."
6. Input your license key (the same key you used in step 3. of the installation process) and click "Next."
7. If you want to authorize any of the optional software extensions, choose "I have authorization number(s) to authorize one or more extensions." and input the license key in the field to the right of any extension you want to authorize. If you do not need any software extensions, choose "I do not want to authorize any extensions at this time." Click "Next."
8. Click "Next."
9. When your license has been authorized you can click "Finish" to finish and close the process. ArcGIS should be ready for use.