Here are instructions for VPN connection with iPhone and iPad with iOS 10 and up. iOS 10 no longer supports PPTP connections so a VPN software is required to connect to the University's VPN. If your device has an older iOS then you can use those guidelines below or follow the older guidelines: VPN for iPad and iPhone - iOS 9 and older.
Click here if you are not sure what iOS you have on your device: Which version of iOS am I running?
NOTE that you only need to follow those steps once to setup the connection. After that you only need to do steps 9 and 10 or 11 and 12 to connect to VPN.
1) Open the App Store in your device:
2) In the search field you type in "openvpn connect" and choose that app from the list:
3) Find the "OpenVPN Connection" developed by "OpenVPN Technology" and tap first on "Get" and then "Install":
4) Now there will pop up a few windows you need to answer. Type in password for the device, accept terms, start the download:
5) Now OpenVPN Connect is installed on your devise. Now open it:
6) Now download the client setup-file by clicking on the button below or this file: client.ovpn
7) When your device has downloaded the file then tap on "Open in "OpenVPN"":
8) Now the "OpenVPN Connect" app is open. Find the section called "New profiles are available" and tap on the green plus behind the "openvpn.rhi.hi.is" certificate:
9) Now the following window will appear. Insert the following details:
- User ID: Your username (same as for Ugla - without @hi.is).
- Password: Same password as for Ugla and webmail.
- Save: Check the "Save" button if this is your private device. That will make further connection much easier.
Then tap on the "Connection" button to connect to the University's VPN:
10) Now the window should look like this and you can see in the "Status" that you are connected. Tap on "Connection" button to disconnect when you are finished using it:
11) When all this is done all you need to do to connect to the VPN is to either open the "OpenVPN Connection" app and tap the "Connection" button (steps 9 and 10) or open "Settings":
12) With "Settings" open tap on "VPN Connecting" button. For this to work you will need to have checked the "Save" button in step 9: