Here are instructions for VPN connection with iPhone and iPad with iOS 10 and up. iOS 10 no longer supports PPTP connections so a VPN software is required to connect to the University's VPN. If your device has an older iOS then you can use those guidelines below or follow the older guidelines: VPN for iPad and iPhone - iOS 9 and older.
Click here if you are not sure what iOS you have on your device: Which version of iOS am I running?
NOTE that you only need to follow those steps once to setup the connection. After that you only need to do steps 9 and 10 or 11 and 12 to connect to VPN.
1) Open the App Store in your device:
2) In the search field you type in "openvpn connect" and choose that app from the list:
3) Find the "OpenVPN Connection" developed by "OpenVPN Technology" and tap first on "Get" and then "Install":
4) Now there will pop up a few windows you need to answer. Type in password for the device, accept terms, start the download:
5) Now OpenVPN Connect is installed on your devise. Now open it:
6) Now download the client setup-file by clicking on the button below or this file: client.ovpn
7) When your device has downloaded the file then tap on "Open in "OpenVPN"":
8) Now the "OpenVPN Connect" app is open. The sceen should show this:
9) Now the following window will appear. Insert the following details:
- Username: Your username (same as for Ugla - without @hi.is).
- Password: Same password as for Ugla and Office.
- Save: Check the "Save" button if this is your private device. That will make further connection much easier.
You can change the name of the connection if you want to.
You will next be asked if you want the programme to add configurations:
You should pick allow.
Then tap on the "Connection" button to connect to the University's VPN:
10) Now the window should look like this and you can see in the "Status" that you are connected. Tap on "Connection" button to disconnect when you are finished using it:
11) When all this is done all you need to do to connect to the VPN is to either open the "OpenVPN Connection" app and tap the "OVPN" button or open "Settings":
12) With "Settings" open tap on "VPN Connecting" button. For this to work you will need to have checked the "Save" button in step 9: