On the University website you can find detailed information about applying to study at the University of Iceland.
This is the process:
- Start by finding the programme you want to apply for on hi.is.
- When you have found a programme, open the programme page and click on "Apply" to start the application process.
- This opens the Communication Portal where you can create an application, edit it, send it in and track its progress.
- The first time you open the Communications Portal you will need to create an account, this also applies to current and graduated students. Ugla accounts cannot be used to log in to the portal and everyone who has not used the Communication Portal before has to create an account.
Once you are logged into the Communications Portal you will see 3-4 tabs:
- Information: Here you can find information about the application process such as application deadlines, entrance exams, admission requirements, etc.
- Applications – overview: Here you can see your active applications. You can click on an application to open the "Application" tab (see below).
- Programmes: Here you can look up the available study programmes and click on “Apply” to activate and open the "Application" tab.
- Application: This is where you can view and edit your application. You can save the application and work on it later, it will not be sent in until you click "Submit application."
- After sending in your application, you can track its progress in the Communications Portal.
- When your application has been accepted you will be able to pay the registration fee with a credit/debit card. Once payment has been received you can get your username and password for Ugla by clicking "Get username for Ugla" in the Applications – overview tab.
- Please note that you need to wait two hours ca. after getting the username before logging into Ugla.
Occasionally issues can arise where the password is not accepted in Ugla, even after waiting for two hours. When this happens you can get a new password from the IT Help Desk. Students can only get a new password this way after finishing the entire process described above.
Student Registration is located in Háskólatorg (University Centre) on the 3rd floor. They are open 9:00-12:00 and 12:30-15:00 on weekdays.
Tel: +354 525 4309
The IT Help Desk is located in Háskólatorg (University Centre) on the 2nd floor (ground floor) and Stakkahlíð. It is open 8:00-16:00 on weekdays.
Tel: +354 525 4222