Below are instructions that go over how you can connect to the University network via VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN connection is useful to access network drives, dictionaries, foreign journals/databases, etc.
1) Start by going to https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ to download the OpenVPN app. Scroll down the page and click the „OpenVPN-2.5-3-I602-amd64.msi" file (the file name might have changed but you click on the relevant file for your version of Windows):
2) Click "Save File":
3) Open the file.
4) This window will pop up, click "Install Now":
5) Click on "Yes" then the installation will begin, after it has finished click on close:
6) Click Start, type in "OpenVPN GUI" and click the OpenVPN GUI app to open it:
7) This error message will pop up the first time you run the program, click "OK":
8) Next you need to download the setup file for the University VPN, click on the "Download" button here below and save the file (you do not have to open it):
9) Right click the OpenVPN icon in the bottom right corner (you might need to click the arrow to see it) and click "Import file...":
10) Find the client.ovpn file you downloaded in step 8 and click "Open":
11) Click "OK":
12) Right click the OpenVPN icon again and click "Connect":
13) Finally, you will be asked to input your username and password. Type in your University username (without the @hi.is ending) and password, check "Save password" to avoid having to type it in every time, and click on "OK" to connect.