Students that wish to run Linux on the computers in computer labs should go to room 166 in Askja. The computers there are installed with both Windows and Fedora GNU / Linux.
When the computer restarts it brings up a menu where you can select either Windows or Fedora GNU / Linux.
If nothing is selected within 5 seconds, the computer will start up in Windows.
To select Fedora GNU/Linux, use the arrow keys on the keyboard and then press Enter - you cannot use the mouse to select in this menu.
When your computer has booted up in Linux, you can log in with your username and password the same way as you would do in Windows.
All information about Fedora are available in english and numerous other languages on the website of Fedora: https://fedoraproject.org/en/
This software, among others are installed in those computers:
- R http://www.r-project.org/
- Matlab http://www.mathworks.se/products/matlab/
- Libre Office https://www.libreoffice.org
- GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/
- QGIS http://www.qgis.org/en/site/
- GRASS GIS http://grass.osgeo.org/
- GIMP http://www.gimp.org/
- Blender http://blender.org