Here are instructions for VPN on Windows 8 and 8.1.
Note that you can not connect to VPN if you're already connected to the University network.
1) Go to "Start" menu and look for "Network and Sharing Center" and click on it:
2) Click on "Set up a new connection or network":
3) Click on "Connect to a workplace" and "Next":
4) Choose "No, create a new connection" and click on "Next":
5) Click on "Use my Internet connection (VPN)":
6) Here you write:
- Internet address: vpn.hi.is
- Destination name: VPN HÍ (or another name that describes the connection)
- Choose "Remember my credentials" if this is your private computer, if it's a public computer do not.
Click on "Create" next:
7) Now we need to change a few settings before we can connect. Go back to "Network and Sharing Center" (See step 1). Click there on "Change adapter settings":
8) Right click the VPN connection we just created and choose "Properties":
9) Here we choose the "Security" tap and change the following:
- Type of VPN: Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
- Data ecryption: Maximum strength encryption...
- Remove all notches below "Allow these Protocol" except "Microsoft Chap version 2"
- Click on "OK".
10) Now everything is ready and all you need to do is connect. There are a few ways to connect. One is to hold down the "Windows key" and click on "C", there you go to "Network" and choose the VPN connection.
You can also go to the "Start" menu and look for VPN and click on "Connect to a network":
11) You get a list of the available connections and one of them should be the VPN connection we just made. Click on it and "Connect":
12) Here you are asked for a username and password. It's important to fill this out right:
- User name: Your username and behind that put @nemendur.hi.is (example: firstname.lastname@example.org). Employees put their username and put @starfsm.hi.is (example: email@example.com)
- Password: Same password as Ugla and the webmail.
Click next on "OK" and the computer should connect to VPN:
Next time you need to connect you only have to follow these instructions from step 10.
You can not connect to VPN if you are already on the University internet.