Instructions for VPN connections with Windows 7.
1) Type VPN in the empty search field and choose "Set up a virtual private network (VPN) connection":
2) In the Window "Create a VPN connection" you type in: vpn.hi.is for Internet address. For Destination name you can give the connection whatever name you want like "VPN-HI". Check "Don’t connect now, just set it up so I can connect later" and click "Next":
3) Type your username and password in the window that apears, students type email@example.com but employees should type firstname.lastname@example.org. The password should be the same as for Ugla. Click "Create":
4) Click "Close":
5) Down at the taskbar to the right click on the icon for Network connection. Right-click on the VPN connection you just created and choose "Properties":
6) Go to "Security" tab and choose "Point to Point Tuneling Protocol (PPTP)" for Type of VPN. Choose "Maximum strength encryption" for Data encryption. Make sure only "Microsoft CHAP version 2" is checked and click "OK":
7) Click again on the icon for Network connection at the taskbar, choose the VPN you just creataed and click "Connect":
Note! it is not possible to connect to VPN while you are connected to the wireless eduroam on campus, Student housing or with ADSL through UoI because you are already connected to HINET.