NOTE. After the newest update from Apple (iOS 10) they no longer support PPTP connections. Therefore those instructions will not work for the newest operating system. For iOS 10 and up use those guidelines: VPN for iPad og iPhone - iOS 10 and up
Click here if you are not sure what iOS you have on your device: Which version of iOS am I running?
Here's how you configure a VPN connection for the University. Note that the device requires an Internet connection to be able to connect to the VPN . However, it is not possible to connect to the VPN if the device is already connected to the University network.
1) Click on "Settings" on the Home screen:
2) Click on "General" and then "Network":
3) Now click on "VPN":
4) Click on "Add VPN Configuration":
5) Now you will see a popup window. Here you will have to insert the following details:
- First click on "PPTP" at the top
- Description: Pick any name for the connection. For example VPN HI
- Server: vpn.hi.is
- Account: Here students have to type "their username"@nemendur.hi.is and staff members will have to type "their username"@starfsm.hi.is. For example: email@example.com
- RSA SecureID: OFF
- Password: Insert the same password you use for Ugla if you do not want to type in the password every time you connect. If this is an iPad many people use then you should leave this empty .
- Encryption Level: Maximum
- Send All Traffic: ON
Then click on "Save" at the top when you have filled out the form:
6) Now the configurations are complete. To connect to the VPN server you simply go to "Settings" (as in step 1) and then turn the VPN on. Now your device should connect to the VPN server at HÍ: